German Potato Salad Soup
- Products in this Recipe:
- Potato Salad
- Prep time:
- 6 min.
- Cook time:
- 16 min.
- Total time:
- 25 min.
- 4 Servings
- 2 (15 oz.) cans German Potato Salad, chopped*
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle beer, preferable light ale
- 0.75 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup ham, smoked turkey, or smoked sausage, diced
- 0.5 tsp. salt
- 0.25 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 0.5 cup Rye croutons, optional
- 0.5 cup Crumbled bacon, optional
Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil in a Dutch oven or 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until onion just starts to brown, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add German Potato Salad, beer, broth and meat, if using, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper and parsley. Serve topped with rye croutons and bacon, if desired.
*To chop potato salad, remove top from can, insert clean kitchen scissors into potato salad and snip until chopped.