Beet & Red Cabbage Salad
- Prep time:
- 13 min.
- Cook time:
- 7 min.
- Total time:
- 20 min.
- 6 Servings
- 1 (16 oz.) jar Whole Pickled Beets or Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1 (16 oz.) jar Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage
- 0.33 cup red currant jelly
- 0.25 tsp. ground cloves
- 0.25 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Granny Smith apples, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 0.5 cup toasted pecans, chopped*
Drain Pickled Beets and Red Cabbage, combining both liquids into small bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of the combined liquids into a small saucepan; discard remainder. Add red currant jelly and cloves to saucepan; whisk to combine. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until liquid is thickened and reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Cool. Meanwhile, cut sliced beets in half, or whole beets into wedges. Toss beets, cabbage and green onions with cooled red currant dressing. Just before serving stir in apples and pecans. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
* To toast pecans, bake nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 350oF oven until fragrant, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool